Pages

S/SW blog philosophy -

I credit favorite writers and public opinion makers.

A lifelong Democrat, my comments on Congress, the judiciary and the presidency are regular features.

My observations and commentary are on people and events in politics that affect the USA or the rest of the world, and stand for the interests of peace, security and justice.


Saturday, January 21, 2006

More internet tools I love





Because this is a such a fun world, on Oct. 7, 2005 I wrote a post called, "Tools I love." The Internet grew because people were generous with information--good information. And technology changes very fast.
I said then that,
The criteria for what I like in computer stuff includes these characteristics: The tools are handy and help me organize. Instructions are clearly written. The authors valued simplicity of form, but complexity of capacity. The company has a good reputation and history of reliable service.
My Blogs: South by Southwest is my primary blog, mostly political and "serious." Feeling the need to be more visual and literate, I have a new blog hosted by Bloglegion called Southwest Blogger. I link back and forth between the web pages.
Good tools: In addition to Bloglines I use another aggregator called newsgator that has some features I like such as a good set of folders, ratings, and save-to-clippings.
Little tools:
  • I am adding Technorati tags at the end of each post.
  • Because Pingomatic does not always work, I have added Pingoat as my pinging tool.
  • I use "sticky notes for my desktop from MoRUN.net Sticker Lite.
  • I have discovered another neat little program called Sideblog, that adds a short independent section for quick entries along the side of my S/SW blog (i.e. the Creative Commons nomenclature and the My Sites annotated list).
  • Rather than a plain list of links via the template, I have added Blogrolling's list.
  • del.icio.us: At the bottom I have the tags from my del.icio.us. To add any links to documents in del.icio.us, I save from My Documents into MyYahoo! Briefcase, and then post them into the del.icio.us favorites. I also use the Bundles feature for grouping tags.
Things I dropped: Since that post include, I removing the Yahoo !Companion toolbar and the Google toolbar and desktop search, because it really slowed my computer down. I also disabled the XP indexing for more speed. Speed vs. tools is always the question for me, one with which I constantly struggle.
Tags: My "creative" post today at Southwest Blogger is about Jackie and the Kennedy family.


No comments: