Pages

S/SW blog philosophy -

I credit favorite writers and public opinion makers.

A lifelong Democrat, my comments on Congress, the judiciary and the presidency are regular features.

My observations and commentary are on people and events in politics that affect the USA or the rest of the world, and stand for the interests of peace, security and justice.


Friday, October 07, 2005

Tools I love



I got my first computer in 1995. I must admit this whole deal still seems like magic to me. I am intellectually aware that I do pay something every month. But it is only a relatively small amount on my credit card bill. But the rest is free, supported by advertising and the good will of the internet community. It feels like I am stealing valuable stuff. And I am grateful for all of it. My style is to give credit where it is due, so that is what this post is about.

Another form of equalizing transactions is to take the time to write webmasters and other creative types when I like something they've done. I sometimes have these images of nerds laboring away unnoticed in small stuffy rooms, or at home in their pajamas. I am a pretty loyal customer, so when I find something I like I usually stick with it.

The criteria for what I like in computer stuff includes these characteristics: The tools are handy and help me organize. Instructions are clearly written. The authors valued simplicity of form, but complexity of capacity. The company has a good reputation and history of reliable service.

Because the way things look on the screen is so important to me, I put visual attractiveness ahead of most everything - beautiful photos and good graphics give me joy every day. For instance, I have used Webshots for many years as a rich and reliable photo source for my desktop background and screensaver. It is wonderful and free. For pretty good free graphic material, try Gimp-Savvy, FreeFoto, and Freeze.com for clipart .

I have had several desktop computers. I still have an old one (a Packard Bell), though I only keep it as back-up capacity for my old Visor Platinum handheld, now owned by Palm. My current primary notebook computer never would support that function, or I was never smart enough to figure it out. I bought what I am using today - a Dell Inspiron 9100 - a little over a year ago, and I love it. Norton was installed from the beginning, and I will pay to renew it. I automatically update it as well as Windows. I use what I believe are fairly strong security settings, including a firewall.

One of the most attractive capacities that the computer offers me is allowing me to connect with others. I use several e-mail addresses, so that I can separate them by functions. I have one for family and friends, one for newsletters, one for blogging, etc. All have web-mail capacity for access from any computer. I like those provided by Yahoo! and MyWay best.

I like the way Yahoo! does groups, and I belong to several of them. I also have tried our several blogging communities, but good ones are rare. TPM Cafe is by far the best. I read, comment and post in a diary there regularly.

Blogging sets up special requirements, so I use two browsers, Internet Explorer and SBC Yahoo! DSL. This method gives me the blog posting flexibility (for linking) offered by having the two browser windows open at the same time. I "tile" them vertically, cutting and pasting link addresses into Google's Blogger's edit window. Bloglines works extremely well for regular RSS feeds of news and other blogs. I have my own blog on Bloglines, where I might post something quickly edited.

There are innumerable good choices of attractive home pages. I like MyWay (AD FREE) and Yahoo! because I can personalize and multiply them to my heart's content. MyWay gets its revenue through arrangements with several search engines: Google, Yahoo!, Ask Jeeves, and LookSmart. As a way of paying MyWay back I try to do all my searches form their portal; that is how they get their revenue.

In addition to being a visual learner, I am rather obsessive and over-organized. These are examples, not necessarily for all to choose. I installed Google's tool bar and desktop search, that allows me to search my own computer files. I have a number of other toolbars that really speed and organize my surfing. Some of my favorites are MyWay Speedbar (with a great method of personalized buttons), Yahoo! Companion, and the Google toolbar. Stacking them up, it equals 6 bars.

So look for me to comment on your site, to respond to your comments on mine, and to write fairly regularly. And because I have just written this post, I want to commit to crediting others more regularly in the future, not just ranting.

No comments: