Pages

S/SW blog philosophy -

I credit favorite writers and public opinion makers.

A lifelong Democrat, my comments on Congress, the judiciary and the presidency are regular features.

My observations and commentary are on people and events in politics that affect the USA or the rest of the world, and stand for the interests of peace, security and justice.


Sunday, October 09, 2005

Bad weather affects real people, the N.H. flooding


CNN just did a quick headline about flooding in New Hampshire. My ears picked up a garbled word I thought said "Keene." To my laptop I went to find out about this news. To quote, The Associated Press story in the Keene Sentinal:

The most severe flooding was in Keene, where some major roads were under as much as four to six feet of water, according to fire officials. About 500 people were evacuated to the city's recreation center, officials said.

I recently wrote a meme blog after reading the idea at Lorianne's Hoarded Ordinaries, a "place blog" as she calls it. The place about which Lorianne blogs so beautifully is Keene, New Hampshire. Now I have another "blogger friend" to worry about. Doctor D, as Lorianne calls herself, may have been affected by really bad weather in New England - if she is one of the 500 at the rec center.

Others in my blogroll have recently dealt with big storms: Bucky at BrownBagBlog in Houston was offline from Sept. 15-28, and Fayrouz at Iraqi in America, who had to deal directly with Hurricane Rita in Beaumont, Texas.
And I blogged about a "weather woman" in Chalmette, Louisiana, who calls herself Sweet Pea. Visit her updated (9/11/05) weather page here. I, of course am very relieved she is safe.

2 comments:

Lorianne said...

I for one am alive & didn't have to be evacuated. (But yes, my neighborhood was one of the areas of mandatory evacuation: apparently they floated down the street in a boat to help people to higher ground.)

The National Weather Service just announced a flood watch for tomorrow through Thursday: we're supposed to get more rain then. So we're not out of the woods yet...

Carol Gee said...

We'll keep you in our thoughts. Take care, huh?