Pages

S/SW blog philosophy -

I credit favorite writers and public opinion makers.

A lifelong Democrat, my comments on Congress, the judiciary and the presidency are regular features.

My observations and commentary are on people and events in politics that affect the USA or the rest of the world, and stand for the interests of peace, security and justice.


Monday, October 10, 2005

Nobel Peace Prize

This year's Nobel Peace prize went to the International Atomic Energy Association, and its head, Mohammed ElBaradei. The Bush administration has often been at odds with Dr. ElBaradei, and tried at times to have him removed from theUnited Nations agency post. Though the administration would probably vehemently disagree, the award does seem to vindicate the "no WMD" in Iraq view. Here is a 2003 Slate article about how the prizes are awarded.

I quote from the New York Times article:

Speaking in Vienna on Friday after learning of the award, Dr. ElBaradei said, "The prize recognizes the role of multilateralism in resolving all of the challenges we are facing today. It will strengthen my resolve and that of my colleagues to continue to speak truth to power."
He also said, however, that relations had improved with the United States, and that Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice had called to congratulate him. She issued a statement calling the award a "well-deserved honor."

Critics are outraged because ElBaradei won the coveted prize. Steve Clemons drew a lot of comments with his opinion. David Wallace-Wells at Slate headlined his excellent piece, "An Ignobel Nobel?".
Dr. ElBaradei was educated at New York University and taught there for a time. The University site has a feature page on their prize winner. The University of Chicago claims to have educated the most prize winners. (see title link above)
Meanwhile, the Middle East remains a place where peace seems almost impossible to achieve. Today three Palestinians were shot by Israeli soldiers near the Gaza border. The question of the war in Iraq keeps the United States dancing on a knife edge.
I remember that both of the most recent presidential candidates declared that the threat of nuclear proliferation was the most serious issue facing the world. Attention to that issue does not seem to have been front and center with OCP (our current president) however. The current "threat of the week" is the bird flu pandemic. In New York it is bombs in baby carriages.
The other question connected to this is the current energy crisis. Dr. ElBaradei has worked hard to promote the peaceful use of nuclear energy. We live not too far from a nuclear power plant. So far, so good. I worry about what happens to the waste and to us, of course. But I would hope that the scientific community could find some answers to that huge problem.
Meanwhile I am stocking up on sweaters for the winter. I know how to do this thing. Growing up on a farm without central heat taught me several things. As I stayed in bed until the house got warm, I was glad it was my little brother's job to build the fire and take out the ashes. I learned to warm a brick to put at my feet in the bed. I learned how absolutely fail-proof were those 100% wool "army" and "navy" blankets. And I learned to sleep with a stocking cap. Perhaps that is why I am able to remember my dreams. Sometimes I dream of peace.

No comments: