Pages

S/SW blog philosophy -

I credit favorite writers and public opinion makers.

A lifelong Democrat, my comments on Congress, the judiciary and the presidency are regular features.

My observations and commentary are on people and events in politics that affect the USA or the rest of the world, and stand for the interests of peace, security and justice.


Monday, September 05, 2005

What to do in a hurricane, etc.


Scene of devastation - Chalmette, Louisiana
Fema's booklet (my title link) on being prepared for a hurricane didn't help the very most vulnerable citizen's of New Orleans to save their own lives. "Floods" are covered in the material beginning on page 3; "Hurricanes" begins on page 11.
My goodness; I just figured out why the FEMA and Homeland Security folks were late. Floods and hurricanes are separate disasters. They just don't happen at the same time. Thus, the agency didn't plan or adjust adequately because they could only see them as separate events. And that is what has come across whenever I have seen Michael Chertoff on television.
Contrast the FEMA booklet with what "Sweet Pea" has to say (on what to do in a hurricane) on her home page. No kidding! This Chalmette, Louisiana (Saint Bernard Parish) blogger said, in effect "You're going to be on your own" in this fascinating and elaborate citizen's guide to what to do in a hurricane. Visit her website; it is wonderful. It was last updated in August of 2005. Now I am worried about her. Dare I send her an e-mail? What if I don't get an answer?

Parenthetically, David Shuster, in his MSNBC blog from the Gulf Coast, made an interesting point about the logistical difference between the New Orleans and Mississippi hurricane victims' experiences. He says it is mostly about access--being able to clear blocked roads vs. flooded streets.
The Red Cross website on hurricane safety warns, ironically, not to get trapped because of flooded roads. Missouri City, Texas, posts an elaborate section on emergency preparedness. Click on "Emergency."
All this is very ironic hindsight, of course. Those citizens trapped in the New Orleans bowl had been very poorly served by their federal government. And they were trying as best they could on their own. Most had no choices; so a horrible number have died. The living, who would consent to leave, are now sometimes separated from each other, widely dispersed, and are trying to do the very best they can. Where was their booklet?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have inserted a comment on my blog too today (unfortunately for you is in italian) about Katrina...

I am so sorry for your country and near to all people who is in New Orleans now..

That God thake care of you!

Cinzia

http://cinzia1877.blogspot.com/

Carol Gee said...

Cinzia, thank you very much for your message. Let me tell you that me and my family are all fine. In fact my husband is about to take our donation of toiletries, clothes, and food to a neighbor, a Navy Reservist who is collecting things for hurricane evacuees.