Pages

S/SW blog philosophy -

I credit favorite writers and public opinion makers.

A lifelong Democrat, my comments on Congress, the judiciary and the presidency are regular features.

My observations and commentary are on people and events in politics that affect the USA or the rest of the world, and stand for the interests of peace, security and justice.


Friday, August 19, 2005

Gaza Strip gets stripped, almost


Ambivalent feelings flood many of us in the TV audience as we watch the images coming from the Gaza Strip in the Middle East.
  1. I can only speak about my own emotions as I watched:
  2. anxiety - I worried that someone would be seriously injured or die
  3. sadness - that it has taken so long to happen, DECADES!
  4. relief - because the Israeli military personnel behaved with so much restraint
  5. disbelief - that numerous young people got past security into the synagogues
  6. confusion - who was soldier/who was protestor/who was media?
As usual during such events, I wonder what Americans, who put so many years into trying to achieve a permanent Middle East peace, are thinking as they watch. Successive administrations have taken an active role in trying to bring the conflict to a close, but to no avail. I wonder what the current administration is doing. Oh, I remember. It is doing Iraq
(see my recent posts on the subject)

2 comments:

HistoryGeek said...

But is it too little too late?

Carol Gee said...

Let's hope not. This current administration seems to prefer guns to butter, to drag out an old cliche. And we don't know what is going on behind the scenes. I just wish Dennis Ross was involved. He has so much wisdom and experience, but maybe Condoleeza Rice is up to the task. Her early experience was with Soviet issues, but she's a good traveller. We'll see.