Pages

S/SW blog philosophy -

I credit favorite writers and public opinion makers.

A lifelong Democrat, my comments on Congress, the judiciary and the presidency are regular features.

My observations and commentary are on people and events in politics that affect the USA or the rest of the world, and stand for the interests of peace, security and justice.


Saturday, August 20, 2005

Israeli Troops and Police Clear Gaza

Israeli Troops and Police Clear All but 5 Gaza Settlements - New York Times

Bits and pieces for your follow up regarding my recent Middle East posts . . .

  • Steve Clemons' "The Washington Note" is one of my daily reads. Clemons is a fellow at the New American Foundation. His blog is always informative, inside, and even-handed. In this post he talks about Senator Chuck Hagel's upcoming appearance as a keynote speaker at a conference Clemons is busy putting together in Washington D.C. September 6th and 7th. Clemons has gathered some heavy-weights: Juan Cole, General Wesley Clark, Utah governor John Huntsman, Bob Barr, and his foundation's own James Fallows. You might want to watch the conference, as it will be available online. I quote from the conference announcement:
"Welcome...On September 6-7, 2005, just days before the fourth anniversary
of the 9-11 terrorist attacks on the United States, the New America Foundation
will convene a major national policy forum to examine the challenge of
international terrorism and how best to confront it. The forum will bring
together national and international public leaders, policymakers and scholars,
security and intelligence officials, media, and citizens from diverse viewpoints
to help formulate a comprehensive plan of action for addressing the threat of
terrorism around the world.
"

  • One of my readers wonders whether U.S. involvement for peace is too little, too late. I replied that I hope not and (sort-of) wished the current administration well.
  • Cindy Sheehan posts about her mom in her diary on Daily Kos.
  • As a courtesy, I had notified Professor Habeck of my posting about her work. Here is her e-mail reply: "Dear Carol, Thanks for the positive mention. I'm already at work on my next book: Fighting the Enemy (it's about the war since 9/11...mostly from the jihadist perspective). Take care, Mary "
  • One of the soldier blogs I check regularly has been updated. "Medicine Soldier" lets us know that it is still hot in Iraq, in more ways than one. He is such an earnest writer that I cannot resist recommending this good read.
  • I also recommend a regular check-by of Michael Yon's Online Magazine dispatch from Iraq. He's a free-lancer embedded with troops seeing lots of action. Go to his homepage for videos "out the front windshield" style.

No comments: