Pages

S/SW blog philosophy -

I credit favorite writers and public opinion makers.

A lifelong Democrat, my comments on Congress, the judiciary and the presidency are regular features.

My observations and commentary are on people and events in politics that affect the USA or the rest of the world, and stand for the interests of peace, security and justice.


Thursday, July 07, 2005

Holding on to Hope for the Brits and for US

As is my usual early morning routine, I am on the computer and listening one of the TV 24-hour news channels at the same time, in this case the ITN feed via MSNB. The bulletins had started to come in about two hours ago. I checked the NYT, Washington Post and BBC feeds on my computer. Nothing there. I checked the online BBC an hour later and there had been five stories posted. There is an eerie quality to the writing, kind of breathless, very much in the moment.
I turned to the TV pausing to watch Prime Minister Tony Blair's initial short but moving statement. His face was dark, his message was one of resolve, his next actions chosen well. Blair seems to be saying to himself and his people, "I'll go to London, for obvious reasons; Provide leadership, the other chaps will carry on with the G8 meeting while I head home for a bit. But I'll be back. The terrorists will not succeed in their attempt to derail our joint Summit's efforts to make things better for the whole world." Now I watch Parliament talk amongst themselves, live, reasoned and thoughtful. And ITV now reports an Al Queda group is now taking credit for the series of terrorist attacks.
Ironically, the G8 Summit could help the situation for all the globe's citizens. If the terrorists once stopped to think about it, helping Africa, mitigating global warming, vociferously but nonviolently arguing different points of view, etc., could make things better for every soul on earth, including them.
These desperate actions of the terrorists are hard to fathom; they are so utterly focused and cold-blooded.

No comments: