Pages

S/SW blog philosophy -

I credit favorite writers and public opinion makers.

A lifelong Democrat, my comments on Congress, the judiciary and the presidency are regular features.

My observations and commentary are on people and events in politics that affect the USA or the rest of the world, and stand for the interests of peace, security and justice.


Sunday, July 11, 2010

Get informed; get involved

Capitol Hill Basics

What is advocacy?  Attorneys are sometimes called advocates.  And just plain old volunteers also do advocacy.  I served on a county Child Welfare Board in the 1970's, for example.  These days I serve on a crime victim's council board.  And I consider myself an online activist.  I write several blogs, I sign online petitions, I telephone U.S. Congressional House and Senate offices, and I try to stay well informed on issues of particular interest to me.  These include national security and civil liberties, the U.S. space program, climate change and the environment. 
To assist with my activism, I get a regular newsletter from Congress.org, whose slogan is "Get informed. Get involved."  Today I clipped one of their articles, "Environmental activists get creative — and they also get some good news." at my AmpLog website. 
Congress.org is a great website for activists and those who would like to help change things in our country.  It publishes news stories about what is happening, ideas for causes with which to get connected.  It is a publication of CQ Roll Call Group.  Here are some of their very handy tools for getting involved.

Communicating with Congress

Write a Letter to Your Local Media

Visiting Capitol Hill

Congressional Staff

The Legislative Process

State Leaders

References -- Links to interesting articles, sent to me by my regular contributor, Jon#, another great activist:"Toyota lashed out at instructor during big recall#," is from Yahoo! News (7/10/10).
"Zimbabweans wash dirty US dollars with soap, water#," is from the AP at Yahoo! News (7/6/10).
"Flying car production rolls forward#," is from CNN (6/30/10).
"Report: Toxins found in whales bode ill for humans#," is from Yahoo! News (6/24/10).
"Are Australian honeybees behind U.S. hive collapse?#," is from Yahoo! News (6/20/10).
-- Post date: 7/11/10
By Carol Gee 
Author of:










No comments: