Pages

S/SW blog philosophy -

I credit favorite writers and public opinion makers.

A lifelong Democrat, my comments on Congress, the judiciary and the presidency are regular features.

My observations and commentary are on people and events in politics that affect the USA or the rest of the world, and stand for the interests of peace, security and justice.


Thursday, May 03, 2007

Confessions of a C-SPAN junkie


Withdrawal from current events has been particularly difficult this trip. My family of origin are not newspaper subscribers. And a couple of my siblings have boycotted TV news programs that are of a political nature. And one does not just grab the remote when a guest, even if "it is family."
Today the remote is mine to do with as I please for a time, as I am now house-sitting for a few days. As this knowledge of empowerment washed over me this morning, I realized I had been in withdrawal from political punditry, Sunday talk, and particularly from C-SPAN's coverage of the House and Senate. As the votes of Senators were counted, name by name, I was happy to be back in the company of old friends. Even if they are overly dramatic or partisan at times, these men and women are familiar to me, and - in a strange way - "grounding" while I am away from home.
All of you who are "clean and sober" would say to me, "for heaven's sake, get a life." But those of you who are also political or C-SPAN junkies can identify with my symptoms. I have thoughts such as -
  • What if something big happens and I don't find out about it?
  • What new scandal has come to light; who is next to be revealed as a scoundrel?
  • How are the Democrats holding out in turning the ship of state around from the war in Iraq?
  • What happened when our current president invited congressional leaders to hear his fixed position on the supplemental budget?
It will take a while for me to get into recovery. But now that I have the remote, I am feeling better as my head clears and news flows in.
My reactions to what I learn follow soon.
Technorati tags:

No comments: