Pages

S/SW blog philosophy -

I credit favorite writers and public opinion makers.

A lifelong Democrat, my comments on Congress, the judiciary and the presidency are regular features.

My observations and commentary are on people and events in politics that affect the USA or the rest of the world, and stand for the interests of peace, security and justice.


Wednesday, November 16, 2005

On hand to give thanks because . . .


I am a citizen of the United States. I take many things for granted that should more properly be noted. On the one hand, I gripe a lot about the state of the world. On the other hand, I have much for which to be thankful:
  • In the 1600's a group of pilgrims and their Native American neighbors got together to give thanks for their blessings. And Americans are still doing it every year around this time. I am also keenly aware that too many citizens of other countries are not yet as free.
  • In the 1700's, my freedom to gripe about anything that bothers me was guaranteed. Even today, however, not all bloggers around the world have this same freedom.
  • A hundred years later our country managed to avoid permanently ripping itself apart in a civil war that ended slavery. My great-great grandfather lived despite being injured and imprisoned in South Carolina. But civil war still rages in several places in the third world.
  • Millions of us get to go to the polls to secretly vote for some new people to represent us, or to retain those who do a good job on our behalf. And in December Iraqis will again, amid much risk, go to their own polls to vote and dye their fingers purple.
  • Thousands of idealistic people remain willing to fight and die in the name of our country, or to help out in other countries or natural disasters. But thousands of others, stateless radical jihadis, are perverting their own religion by killing innocents in places all around the globe.
  • Dozens of interesting states are still waiting for my first visit. Too many evacuees, however, will not be able to travel back to their homes for the holidays this year.
  • More than twenty members of our extended family will gather at our house next week to join us again in giving thanks again for all our own blessings. But we will dearly miss those who have passed away in the interim.
  • My own spouse still wants to be with me enough to look forward to our fiftieth wedding anniversary next spring. In humility I say, I feel lucky and blessed for that.

No comments: