Pages

S/SW blog philosophy -

I credit favorite writers and public opinion makers.

A lifelong Democrat, my comments on Congress, the judiciary and the presidency are regular features.

My observations and commentary are on people and events in politics that affect the USA or the rest of the world, and stand for the interests of peace, security and justice.


Tuesday, November 15, 2005

For peace in the world

(pic by Bigfoto.com)
Today I share this wonderful poem by Mary Oliver, winner of thePulitzer Prize for poetry and of the 1992 National Book award for poetry. It is from her
New and Selected Poems.
Sunrise
You can
die for it--
an idea,
or the world. People
have done so,
brilliantly,
letting
their small bodies be bound
to the stake,
creating
an unforgettable
fury of light. But
this morning,
climbing the familiar hills
in the familiar
fabric of dawn, I thought
of China,
of India
and Europe, and I thought
how the sun
blazes
for everyone just
so joyfully
as it rises
under the lashes
of my own eyes, and I thought
I am so many!
What is my name?
What is the name
of the deep breath I would take
over and over
for all of us? Call it
whatever you want, it is
happiness, it is another one
of the ways to enter
fire.
. . . Peace . . .

2 comments:

HistoryGeek said...

I love Mary Oliver.

Carol Gee said...

So do I. I facilitate a dream group for therapists, and we often use her poems as opening and closing readings for "stage setting."