Pages

S/SW blog philosophy -

I credit favorite writers and public opinion makers.

A lifelong Democrat, my comments on Congress, the judiciary and the presidency are regular features.

My observations and commentary are on people and events in politics that affect the USA or the rest of the world, and stand for the interests of peace, security and justice.


Friday, September 16, 2005

Why read - Why write?


Why read? One of the reasons I read opinion pieces is to see what thinking people write about a subject. I respect a good apologist's presentation sustaining his or her certain view. BTW, I have made it a practice to regularly visit the About.com feature on women writers linked in my title above. And BTW/2, Baghdad Burning (one of my favorite women writers - aka "Riverbend") is back to blogging. Yea!; and I am so relieved that she's ok.
Why write? I do not consider myself as one of those "thinking people," but I decided to try my hand with this reflection. So I wrote the following post immediately after last nights speech:
"When it comes to the speeches of Our Current President, I've always hated instant analysis, but here goes . . .
This is new to me. I felt the "Blue For the Blues" movie set for our current president's (OCP) SPEECH TO THE NATION was bizarre. OCP gave very short shrift to enumerating what went wrong in the response to Hurricane Katrina, and got right to "recognizing heroes."
He never said the words I needed to hear about the people dying while waiting for promised help at the Convention Center; or the hundreds of ill patients, caregivers, workers and families waiting for evacuation from several large hospitals. OCP quickly got to the "throw money at it" part. (I favor lots of financial aid, by the way). But many of his ideas will go down in flames to the current budget crunch, to truly the votes of conservative Republicans in Congress, or to the needs of the war in Iraq. His rhetoric costs nothing now. Much of it will get ignored. Maybe the Family Reunification 800 number will take off. We can only hope that yet another toll free number will make all this horror right again. I just hate it that this administration has managed to make a cynic of me at this late age. I swore I would never be that way."

No comments: