Pages

S/SW blog philosophy -

I credit favorite writers and public opinion makers.

A lifelong Democrat, my comments on Congress, the judiciary and the presidency are regular features.

My observations and commentary are on people and events in politics that affect the USA or the rest of the world, and stand for the interests of peace, security and justice.


Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Keeping up with what's happening in dangerous times



Today, I came across this very old photo from a Smithsonian collection. This precious little child spoke to me across the years, an echo of faces and voices I heard from the flooded streets of New Orleans, these past weeks. She could be one of those grandmothers I saw, struggling to stay alive in the heat and drought.







Following up -

Today's post follows my effort to lift my head up for a moment from the Gulf Coast and look around to other parts. In the process, I was referred to a "big blog," (my definition) that I had yet to discover; I recommend The American Prospect Online (linked in the title of this post).
Their posts cover exactly those issues about which I was feeling curious today:
  1. "Watching the ship sink" on Bolton at the UN
  2. "out with the old" about the new FEMA director. It is regrettable that this man with the right kind of background was not in charge of FEMA from early on in this current administration.
  3. "Israel update" on withdrawal of their troops from Gaza. It is my sincere hope that this decision by Israel will signal an end, and a new beginning in this war torn area. Time will tell whether genuine empowerment of Palestinians, disenfranchised Muslims, can help turn their organizations from violence to political action. I am optimistic. I also think that more active support through U.S. diplomacy could more nearly assure that outcome.
  4. "Accountability-don’t count on it" byJohn Chait, on holding leaders accountable. We will see whether today's Presidential comment (taking responsibility for governmental failures during the hurricane) will result in genuine fact-finding and reform. It is a good small step. Parenthetically, I could not believe it was actually happening. As I watched the answer to a reporter's question on live television during the President's appearance with Iraq's President Talabani, I let out a sigh of relief. Finally.
(Hat tip to Steve Clemons for this great news and opinion resource).

Follow-up on previous political posts, continuing my research -

Here's a good Summary of Clemons’ conference Terrorism, Security and America's Purpose. This was an excellent gathering of articulate thinking people. I encourage you to watch some of the video segments available on the conference web site. You might get an idea for further action or involvement.
  • Cindy Sheehan continues her protest in California against the was in Iraq. And hundreds of people participated. That IS good news. I have nothing but wishes for sucess for nation building in Iraq. I like the warm Kurdish leader, President Talibani. But I think that it would be the height of stupidity for us to remain in permanent military bases on Iraqi soil. That action will assure that we stay permanently in the crosshairs of violent Jihadis, and probably on our own soil.

  • New news to worry about -
    And here's an issue that is coming up more often with bloggers. I am astonished by it: Preemptive Nuclear strike. It speaks for itself. Aargh!
    Words to inspire us to keep our heads up -
    I close with a link to this speech, “9/11 And The Sport of God,” by Bill Moyers; published September 9, 2005 by CommonDreams.org. This article is adapted from Bill Moyer's address this week at Union Theological Seminary in New York, where Judith and Bill Moyers received the seminary's highest award, the Union Medal, for their contributions to faith and reason in America. One of my Special Someones put it this way, "Its scary but true. I just hope come next election, people will remember all this 'compassionate conservatism' shown down south recently." (a grateful hat tip to J for this link)

    No comments: