Pages

S/SW blog philosophy -

I credit favorite writers and public opinion makers.

A lifelong Democrat, my comments on Congress, the judiciary and the presidency are regular features.

My observations and commentary are on people and events in politics that affect the USA or the rest of the world, and stand for the interests of peace, security and justice.


Sunday, August 28, 2005

A perspective on what is really important


8/28/05: I will only comment today that my thoughts are with the people of the Gulf Coast. As they try to save their own lives and the lives of others, I find myself unable to think of anything to write that has any significance, except that we hope for the very best. The Big One will be blowing in tomorrow, and we'll be hoping that all can find shelter.

8/29/05: As Nature's fury descended on the Gulf Coast these most recent hours, I am reminded of the things that are most important from Maslow's Heirarchy of Human Needs. In relation to Hurricane "Katrina," beginning at the bottom level in order of importance, I see them manifested in these ways:
  • Physiological - providing for people's necessary elements of food, clothing, shelter
  • Safety - confidence that they can be safe enough to live through the storm
  • Belongingness and love needs - related to being with family, caring for pets, neighbors helping neighbors
  • Esteem needs - acceptance and respect from authorities, caring enough about oneself to take precautions
  • Need to know and understand - information about what is happening with the storm and to where they live
  • Aesthetic needs - personal grooming and surroundings become less important
  • Self-actualization - survivors and rescuers being all they can be as fully realized human beings
  • Transcendance - perhaps being selfless and heroic in the face of great personal risk
I saw examples of all these needs being well met on television today.
I feel blessed to be out of the path of the storm. I am so impressed with the survivors as they did the best they could under difficult circumstances, and those who helped them along the way. I will mourn those who did not make it alive. And I will worry about those friends and relatives who do not know if those they love are alive and safe.

No comments: