Pages

S/SW blog philosophy -

I credit favorite writers and public opinion makers.

A lifelong Democrat, my comments on Congress, the judiciary and the presidency are regular features.

My observations and commentary are on people and events in politics that affect the USA or the rest of the world, and stand for the interests of peace, security and justice.


Friday, June 17, 2005

What is it about great writers

Just finished a great book by Azar Nafisi, Reading Lolita in Tehran. This on the day of elections in Iran. I can't help but wonder what this talented writer/teacher is thinking as her native land faces another crisis in governance. Literature is her love and her book is a passionate argument for the life-saving power of writing and reading.
The bloggers I include in my S/by/SW list of links are there because they are great writers. For instance, Juan Cole (Informed Comment) is recognized by many to be one of the very best sources of well written and complete information on the Middle East. "Lileks" daily column never fails to cheer me or make me chuckle. His turn of phrase is often brilliant. Bucky's "Brown Bag" is often edgy or piognant. "Mrs Mogul" is a very clever young Yankee writing from her current home in Great Britain. Lorianne (Hoarded Ordinaries) writes poetically and often includes great photo comments. Rosie O'Donnell has a very unusual free verse kind of style that is always intriguing. My favorite political blogger, Steve Clemons' (Washington Note) is even handed and well researched.
Why not link up with some of them to check out what I mean?

No comments: