Pages

S/SW blog philosophy -

I credit favorite writers and public opinion makers.

A lifelong Democrat, my comments on Congress, the judiciary and the presidency are regular features.

My observations and commentary are on people and events in politics that affect the USA or the rest of the world, and stand for the interests of peace, security and justice.


Thursday, June 23, 2005

Brain Clutter

What are the costs of . . .
Info in my hand:
In my last post I talked about a library book I recently finished. In addition to being very much entertained by the writer's skill, I learned a lot about two of my current areas of focus, Women and the Middle East.
The book often went with me in my hand so that I could read in spare moments or for long stretches of time. And I often went back and reread certain passages to refresh my memory about the cast of characters or a particular period. And I used one of my special bookmarks, chosen for its pertinence to the subject of the book. I am part of half the nation that still loves to read, according to the Wall Street Journal.
And the cost? I borrowed this book FREE from my local library. However, I have unread books right at hand in my own library. Are they wasted? Should I feel guilty if something no longer interests me, even though it is right here and of possible benefit?

Info in my space:
This CBS article from the Christian Science Monitor discusses the possible future direction of reading via a computer or other technological device. Lots of my daily reading takes place on a screen in my own space. I have several TV's, a notebook computer, a PDA, and a cell phone. So one of these electronic devices is almost always on hand for gathering information. I always take my cell phone and PDA on the road. If I wanted more access to info on the road, I could carry my notebook computer or look at a television in a store, restaurant or waiting room.
It does cost me money to be on my cell phone or online, but not very much, compared to the considerable initial purchase prices of these wonderful InstantInfo gadgets. Does the breadth and almost instant availability of this vast pool of information justify the expenditure?

Info in my face:
I often feel like all this is right in my face. I get TMI (see *cliche key below), or I/O. On TV I see too many wrecked cars, people in handcuffs, patients being loaded into ambulances, talking (empty)heads, and posturing politicians. And someone I know even resents the headlines scrolling across the bottom of the TV screen. Writing online opinion is an honorable and widespread undertaking. So-called "news" can be an altogether different matter. Online computer news can masquerade as solid info. But in reality, some of it is in-my-face opinion, too edgy - too ranting.
The daily cost to my peace of mind is high, even if I am staying up to date. And how do my biases get in the way of the civility I crave?
*Cliche Key: TMI=too much information. I/O=information overload
I am left with these final questions about information in my hand, in my space, or in my face:
  • Would it help make order out of clutter to categorize the information on a "need to know" or "want to know" basis? What will it take to keep me safe and happy?
  • Will my brain automatically forget, bury or clear out information I don't currently need to have at hand? What will it take to restore my peace of mind?
  • Is intellectual curiosity too much of a good thing, if knowing lots of information gives me pleasure AND a cluttered brain? Will my success at growing older stay on track?
  • How much info do I need to memorize; how much should I simply store for later retrieval? What is the most cost-efficient way to manage TMI and I/O?

No comments: