Pages

S/SW blog philosophy -

I credit favorite writers and public opinion makers.

A lifelong Democrat, my comments on Congress, the judiciary and the presidency are regular features.

My observations and commentary are on people and events in politics that affect the USA or the rest of the world, and stand for the interests of peace, security and justice.


Monday, May 02, 2005

Respect for writing as a core value

Over the weekend I was treated to a series of experiences that solidified my respect for good writing and my love of books.
  • Thomas Friedman, recently authored a book , that is going to be very influential about the emerging "Flat Earth Economy." He was the subject of a fascinating 3-hour TV interview on C-SPAN.
  • George Nash, who wrote Books and the Founding Fathers , discussed his research on what books the Republic's Founding Fathers read, wrote and collected -- also on C-SPAN.
  • Rosie O'Donnel very creatively writes a popular blog , and brilliantly acted in last night's TV Hallmark Hall of Fame well-scripted "Riding the Bus With My Sister."
  • And I learned by embarrasing trial and error (connected with my previous post) that a copyrighted piece of original writing is to be honored and respected in the practice of blogging. (I had copied and credited something I thought was good, rather than merely linking to the author's material). Luckily, I had courteously notified the author that I was linking to her article, and she replied with a request that I remove the copied stuff. I did, and she e-mailed me with thanks, a link to an article on copyrighting , and a compliment for my new site.
Writing and reading have long occupied a large piece of my time, effort, thought and energy. Since before I went to school I have been a collector and reader of books. My mother and my grandmother read to me, I have been gifted with books, I given books away, collected and catalogued books, and belonged to Public Libraries everywhere I have lived. These days I read literary blogs, and I am a "newby" blogger myself. Who'da thought it!

No comments: