Pages

S/SW blog philosophy -

I credit favorite writers and public opinion makers.

A lifelong Democrat, my comments on Congress, the judiciary and the presidency are regular features.

My observations and commentary are on people and events in politics that affect the USA or the rest of the world, and stand for the interests of peace, security and justice.


Sunday, April 24, 2005

Social Work Synchronicity

The History Channel on Dish Network showed a special piece last night, "FDR: A Presidency Revealed." I found elements in it that reminded me that events and people are connected in amazing ways.Key to the Allied Victory in World War II was the British-American alliance. Before Roosevelt and Churchill cemented their relationship, our president has to take the measure of the man. So he sent his trusted advisor, Harry Hopkins, a social worker by training like me, to get to know Churchill in London. After a month Hopkins reported that Churchill could be trusted as Great Britain's leader. But Roosevelt was boxed in by "isolationist" U.S. law and couldn't yet join the war, though he knew we must.
A significant date - 9/11 - September 11, 1941, President Roosevelt had a possible reason to get into war with the Nazis after they attacked our ship, the USS Greer. But it was not yet the time.
Eventually Roosevelt and Churchill got on ships and had a three day meeting off the coast of Newfoundland. There they formulated a plan which resulted long after that in victory for the Allies. At the end, at the behest of the US, Churchill issued a statement which eventually related to the breakup of the British empire following the war. Our request to Churchill stated that that the Brits "needed to encourage freedom and democracy all around the globe." This is exactly the Neocon position which led to the invasion of Iraq. But, oh, how different it looks this time around.
I found out that my history knowledge base is deficient for the FDR period. So I will read John Meacham's book "Roosevelt and Churchill" next. Somehow growing up during the war left me with only a child's perspective, which I never have explored. I was born in 1937 and my parents were Republican leaning, so my memory of their comments is slanted. I became a Democrat as soon as I could vote. And I became a social worker in grad school. And I have studied men and their wars for the past three years. I view this synchronicity as a sign that it is now time for another episode of exploration.

No comments: