Pages

S/SW blog philosophy -

I credit favorite writers and public opinion makers.

A lifelong Democrat, my comments on Congress, the judiciary and the presidency are regular features.

My observations and commentary are on people and events in politics that affect the USA or the rest of the world, and stand for the interests of peace, security and justice.


Monday, August 08, 2011

How hot is it?

The flag of Fort Worth, Texas currently in use...Image via Wikipedia

[7/8/11] Where I live - in Fort Worth, Texas  it feels "hotter than Hades."  On any recent afternoon the thermometer - in the shade - on our back porch has been reading 105, 108, or 110 degrees.

What this means is that our ten year-old Corgi, Scooter, cannot spend any quiet time away from us on the patio.  It means a high water bill merely keeping our mature shrubs alive.  It means wearing a straw hat if the time outside is longer than just a few moments.  If there is any wind it feels like standing near a blast furnace in a steel mill, though I've never personally seen such a furnace.

City folk and country folk alike are in trouble.  If you do not have air conditioning, your life can be at risk. People who work outside mast take care to avoid heat strokes. And our dangerously high temperatures are combined with a severe drought.  Gardens, parks crops, and livestock are suffering.

There seems to be no end in sight.

Technorati tags:

My Other Blogs: Check out my Amplify blog for synopses of current news stories. My creative website is Making Good Mondays. Follow me at Twitter. And Carol Gee - Online Universe is the home page for all my websites.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: