Pages

S/SW blog philosophy -

I credit favorite writers and public opinion makers.

A lifelong Democrat, my comments on Congress, the judiciary and the presidency are regular features.

My observations and commentary are on people and events in politics that affect the USA or the rest of the world, and stand for the interests of peace, security and justice.


Sunday, July 08, 2007

Superstition, spirituality and just "being" in the day


The lucky day ? Yesterday - 7/7/07 - was supposed to be a very lucky day. Hundreds of extra weddings happened. I imagine that gamblers were extra busy trying thier luck. Superstitious people perhaps actually crowded their luck a bit because it was supposed to be the big day for good fortune. Somehow, I did none of these things, and I wonder whether I missed out on something good happening to me. But I do not really feel bad, because I am not very superstitious.
Merely being in the day - is what I do because I am a very spiritual person, though I do not go to formal worship on Sundays. In that way I do not (superstitiously) feel that I will be punished for that ommission, or that it takes away from my overall spirituality. Spirituality, for me, is much more a way of being, than an obligation.
The daily comfort of finding one's stride - Psychologically, I find it very unproductive and unsatisfying to allow myself unreasoning guilt for this spiritual style, this way of being in the world. My existential style is a very personal one, mine alone, and difficult to explain. But into my 70th decade, it is the one that has remained in place for over 20 years, so I am probably stuck with it.
Difficult days are made easier when we feel somehow connected to "kindred spirits." Over the years, and more in recent weeks, I have had the blessing of knowing of people's concern for my well-being. It is of deep spiritual comfort to hear that I am in someone's prayers, or that they wish for my well-being. So for me, the date on the calendar is not as important as staying in touch, being appreciative and saying thanks for those good wishes.

Daily implementation of dreams - My “creativity and dreaming” post today at Good Second Mondays is about putting the wisdom of our dreams into creative good use.

No comments: