Pages

S/SW blog philosophy -

I credit favorite writers and public opinion makers.

A lifelong Democrat, my comments on Congress, the judiciary and the presidency are regular features.

My observations and commentary are on people and events in politics that affect the USA or the rest of the world, and stand for the interests of peace, security and justice.


Friday, December 08, 2006

The creative process and the news

Any ideas?
Missing you. I have noticed recently that a number (6 of 19) blogs I regularly visit have no new posts . It would be risky to assume I know the "why" of it. Not writing a post could be for absolutely different causes in every case. Logical reasons might include travel, illness, holidays or circumstances in one's family, job or school. All those things have certainly been causes for me not posting.

Politics as usual - For those of us who write for the political blogosphere, I believe creativity and hope are somehow tied together. For me it is figuritively throwing my hands and exclaiming, "What can I say?" But something else might be in play. I'd call it the "Lame Duck Blues." The Congress, still under the control of the Republicans, is able to do very little of significance. Our current President (OCP) has been literally a lame duck since 2004. The commissions upon which we have come to heavily depend have finished their work. Newly elected officials have yet to be sworn in. Nothing's changing with what is wrong. We feel hopeless and helpless - depressed - in other words.

Where is your muse? I speculate that it may have to do with that very individual element of losing one's confidence in creativity. Blogger "Whiskey River" wrote a wonderfully creative post - about the devastation of losing one's creativity - yesterday on qarrtsiluni. The title is "First Fear of Time." To quote a line from it,
The mental exhaustion and extreme physical fatigue you are experiencing is the actual sensation of creativity draining out of you.

Those who do write have paralyzing news. For example, Elizabeth Warren posts at TPMCafe, "Lameduck Lovefest," and "BarbinMD" at DailyKos leads with: "AP Poll: Few expect victory in Iraq." The news is clear. General Peter Chiarelli, Commander of Mulitnational Forces, is currently holding a live briefing on C-SPAN2. His assessment has an edge of seriousness that mirrors the assessment of the ISG. He says, "It will take more than the military to solve these problems." I throw up my hands and say to myself, "When will OCP get it?" And the answer I get back, "Never!" is paralyzing to think about, let alone write about.
I think I understand your absence, my friends.
Technorati tags:

2 comments:

billie said...

you left out hectic holidays- i agree with all of the others. :)

Carol Gee said...

betmo, I forgot because our kids are all grown and emancipated. By comparison to when we had four at home, our holidays are much less hectic. We gather together here on the day before Christmas. Thanks for reminding me.