Pages

S/SW blog philosophy -

I credit favorite writers and public opinion makers.

A lifelong Democrat, my comments on Congress, the judiciary and the presidency are regular features.

My observations and commentary are on people and events in politics that affect the USA or the rest of the world, and stand for the interests of peace, security and justice.


Friday, November 03, 2006

Finding Information on the Web

What's the catch?
An internet search is a fishing expedition. We are afloat in a sea of information. If we cast the net we hope for a catch worth keeping.
Remembering the exciting results of my first "search" in 1996, I realize that the process remains a magical one for me. It is for this that I collect search engines.
My regulars include: Google, Yahoo! Ask.com. I started way back when with LookSmart, Lycos, and AltaVista. My "Combined-style" engines include: Webcrawler, Dogpile, and Metacrawler. Mozilla Firefox has a built-in search bar, as does the Google toolbar. I have also used the mywebsearch toolbar; it is my favorite combined-type, because of its nifty button system. Dogpile is my default search site.
Internet Archive : You can find almost anything that has ever been on the world wide web. The Wayback Machine is the ultimate "search engine," if you have a web address. It does not support keyword searches at this time, however. To quote,
About the Wayback Machine
Browse through 55 billion web pages archived from 1996 to a few months ago. To start surfing the Wayback, type in the web address of a site or page where you would like to start, and press enter. Then select from the archived dates available. The resulting pages point to other archived pages at as close a date as possible.
References:
Tags:

My "creative post" today at Southwest Blogger is a short photo essay about being "out there."

No comments: