Pages

S/SW blog philosophy -

I credit favorite writers and public opinion makers.

A lifelong Democrat, my comments on Congress, the judiciary and the presidency are regular features.

My observations and commentary are on people and events in politics that affect the USA or the rest of the world, and stand for the interests of peace, security and justice.


Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Where is the October surprise? Today is the last day. . .

KARL ROVE is in my head, in spite of my very best efforts. Political pundits say it can happen, even to the best of us. You ask, how is that?
I am waiting for his surprise, and it is scary. This is the last week it can happen, at least in October of 2006. I wonder whether it has already been sprung and I just didn't hear about it. Was this it any in this list of current news headlines?

  • "Bush accuses Democrats of lacking plan for Iraq" - Somehow, I don't think this Reuters item is it.
  • "North Korea to return to talks" - is the headline for a new AP story in the New York Times. This is fairly surprising news, but I am not sure even Karl Rove is powerful enough to be responsible for Kim Jong Il's change of heart.
  • "Pakistan says it killed 80 militants in Attack on Islamic School" - headlined in the New York Times on October 30, 2006. I'm not sure Mr. Rove has launching authority for a military drone, but we never know.
  • "WMD intercept exercise to begin in the Gulf," is the headline in a 10/29/06 story in the Uk's Financial Times. The war games in the Persian Gulf were probably planned long ago, but the timing might have been coordinated between Rumsfeld and Rove. Probably not. Am I naive?
These are all the potential SURPRISE! headlines I have been able to find in a quick scan of recent news stories. My conclusion is that we have not yet heard THE REAL October surprise. By the way, I have done a therapist's self-diagnosis and see definite signs of my paranoia.
Karl - be gone from my head!
Tags:
My "creative post" at Southwest Blogger is currently about my book favorites.

No comments: