Pages

S/SW blog philosophy -

I credit favorite writers and public opinion makers.

A lifelong Democrat, my comments on Congress, the judiciary and the presidency are regular features.

My observations and commentary are on people and events in politics that affect the USA or the rest of the world, and stand for the interests of peace, security and justice.


Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Lots of trains on the news track


The Texas D. A. adds another DeLay indictment, this time from a new grand jury. Ellen Miller, at TPMCafe, remindeds that the Republican National Committee is also connected to this story, because that was the alleged funnel mechanism used for the money laundering.

  • From the for-what-it's-worth department, I do not have much sympathy for Mr. Delay. And I am relieved that he no longer has formal influence in Congressional doings. I have no doubt, however, that he will remain a behind the scenes influencer, chugging along in the caboose.

The Iraq parliament reverses its election rules change. Behind the scenes pressure from the United States and the United Nations may have been a factor in the parliament's decision to "do a 180." Baghdad Burning blogger, Riverbend has a fascinating post about how she feels about the proposed constitution.

  • Here's my hunch. I do not feel optimistic about the future of the current administration's adventure over there. I wish I could feel more positive for the good people of this beleaguered country. . . I cannot yet call it a nation. Our Neocon engineers' efforts at nation-building have fallen so far short of what should have been done. Because I have become somewhat acquainted with the people, I just cannot be despairing about it.

A relatively unnoticed recommendation of Carter-Baker election commission could help fears about the accuracy of upcoming election vote counting. One of the people at the recent DNC Presidential Election Commission reported that North Carolina recently adopted a requirement for a voting machine paper trail.

  • I have perhaps bored my readers to death with my series of posts on election reform. But it is the key, in my opinion, to remaining hopeful about the future of our nation. I believe that fundamental flaws in the election process got us into the mess we are in today. Democrats need to lead the way in pushing for the reforms that will ultimately get us back on track.

Things are still off track in Louisiana. The people of the entire state have experienced a train wreck. The New Orleans mayor lays off 3000 city workers. State officials fear that population loss, as a result of recent Hurricanes, could result in the loss of one U.S. Congressional Representative. Life has changed for thousands and thousands of people, in the state and out of state. A former resisent reflects here on how her life has changed since moving far away from New Orleans. And now fiscally conservative U.S. lawmakers are trying to find ways to limit spending related to the storms.

  • My own life was not materially affected by the two hurricanes. But my world view has shifted a bit. In denial about how truly vulnerable Americans were after 9/11/01, I can no longer sustain the conviction that "everything's gonna be all right." There's a chance that it won't unless we get off this siding. On the other hand, I am becoming hopeful that more citizens are feeling that a switch in direction would be good for the country.

Conservatives are split over opposition to Supreme Court nominee Harriet Miers. This could change as her confirmation hearings move along. Steve Clemons has an interesting post on this subject. At the very least, it is a signal that our current president made his move from a weakened position.

  • In a final for-what-it's-worth puff of smoke, my assumptions about the nominee are that she is every bit as conservative as her boss implies, that she is intelligent enough, that she is a woman of good will, and if the hard right conservatives are upset she must be ok.

No comments: