Pages

S/SW blog philosophy -

I credit favorite writers and public opinion makers.

A lifelong Democrat, my comments on Congress, the judiciary and the presidency are regular features.

My observations and commentary are on people and events in politics that affect the USA or the rest of the world, and stand for the interests of peace, security and justice.


Thursday, September 22, 2005

In the path of a hurricane


Top News Article Reuters.com
It is Texas' turn. The news is front and center, IN OUR FACES. People are heading up and moving out.
We are much further inland, so our preparations are centered around stocking provisions, being prepared for power outages, etc. The electricity at our house goes off at the drop of a hat anyway, as does satellite TV.
I have an old kerosene lamp, very dear to me, that I know how to light. Lamps were what we had until after I was in grade school. Our mother taught us how to trim the wick in a slight curve so it would not smoke up the lamp's glass chimney.
My husband will go out to the patio and use unpteen bungee cords on all loose items, take in the cushions, and turn over empty containers so as not to attract mosquitoes. That won't be a problem for a while with high winds forecast.
I think about all these little problems and challenges with a deep sense of gratitude that we will not be required to evacuate the area. I cannot begin to imagine what that would be like, but millions of my fellow Texans have had to think about it, and do it in order to save their lives.
Threat to life and limb is serious business, that makes my little anxieties, gripes and irritations seem piddling and petty. So I'll stop for now, with a "Thanks be to God," for our good fortune.

No comments: