Pages

S/SW blog philosophy -

I credit favorite writers and public opinion makers.

A lifelong Democrat, my comments on Congress, the judiciary and the presidency are regular features.

My observations and commentary are on people and events in politics that affect the USA or the rest of the world, and stand for the interests of peace, security and justice.


Monday, August 01, 2005

Bolton and neocons

Understanding neoconservatives . . .
Today President Bush appointed John Bolton to be the U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, without the approval of the Senate. John Bolton is a neoconservative. And, just so you know what that means, I have gathered some material on the movement for you to read. It comes from a variety of sources, some "pro," some "con," so you can draw your own conclusions. I need to disclose, however, that my bias is this: I think we are in for a rough ride as a result of this recess appointment.
This article from a recent edition of the Washington Note got me to thinking that I really didn't know all I needed to about the beliefs of this group. First I looked up the term in the encyclopedia getting some useful Wikipedia definitions. Further down in my Google search list, I came across this excellent
article in the Christian Science Monitor that gives a good general overview. For the neocon view, I read this article by neocon author, Max Boot. And I read a blog by a convert to the movement, a woman therapist who is a former Democrat. The last two pieces were very anti-neocon: I read something by a blogger at the Tom Paine site, and an opinion piece that I thought had an interesting take on the subject.
Who are they?
From the above sources I have compiled a list of names that are most often associated with this group: Paul Wolfowitz, Douglas Feith, Richard Perle, Lewis "Scooter" Libby, Elliot Abrams, John Bolton, Michael Ledeen, William Kristol, Frank Gaffeny, Jr., Irving Kristol, Norman Podhoretz, and Robert Kagan.
According to a Neocon spokesman, Max Boot, the people on the following list are not neoconservatives, but "traditional national interest conservatives." They include: President George Bush, Jr., Vice-President Dick Cheney; and administration officials, Donald Rumsfeld, Condoleeza Rice, and Colin Powell (described as a "liberal internationalist").
Walter Russel Meade, a neocon author, feels that these historical figures would be neocons today: Theodore Roosevelt, and to some extent Woodrow Wilson, with a different frame of reference.
The most recent incarnation of this movement began in 1976 with a group of followers of hawkish Democratic Senator Henry "Scoop"Jackson. And I myself feel that the neocon stance probably had considerable credence during the Reagan era.
My research has not increased my optimism about Mr. Bolton as the choice for such an important governmental position. I could be wrong. Why not go to my links and make up your own mind?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Other enlightening research topics might be "The Federalist Society" and "PNAC" (Project for a New American Century). Some of the same names and the same circles of influence as the Neocons. Very interesting group to say the least. How many names do you recognise from the Nixon/Reagan era days?

Carol Gee said...

Thinker, thanks for the idea for further research. I'll check out "PNAC" first, and do a follow up post on other key player convergences I spot. BTW, is sure didn't take Mr. Bolton to set up shop, did it?