Pages

S/SW blog philosophy -

I credit favorite writers and public opinion makers.

A lifelong Democrat, my comments on Congress, the judiciary and the presidency are regular features.

My observations and commentary are on people and events in politics that affect the USA or the rest of the world, and stand for the interests of peace, security and justice.


Saturday, December 02, 2006

Flotsam and jetsam

Today's post is all about giving credit,
though technically, flotsam is "floating ship's wreckage" and jetsam is stuff "cast overboard to lighten the load."

Some of my favorite writers are really worried about a possible wreckage of ship of state. They are getting things off their chests - lightening their loads. Here are some links that are good reads most every day.

MRBFK - "In the Heart of the City" is what I believe to be an anti-war post, though Bobby Farouk often writes in wonderfully obscure ways. This lovely piece is clear.

Charging RINO - "DOJ to Investigate Eavesdrop Scheme." Jeremy Dibble is a centrist political writer that posts succinctly and very regularly. I read his posts to keep up with what seem to be the important issues stated in very reasonable ways.

The Reaction -- by Michael J.W. Stickings - "Reality According to the Saudis." This Toronto liberal writer stays on top of things political in the U.S., posting often and sometimes fiercely, though not inappropriately. He's a good writer and a real pro. And we like the same people: this post links to Steve Clemons, for example.

The Washington Note - (11/24/06) Steve Clemons posted "On Sunday, Iraq War Longer than World War II." This post drew 84 comments which is not unusual at his blog. Clemons is an excellent writer who gets regularly published. (Josh Marshall got him started blogging). He is also a good speaker and panel moderator; I've often seen him on C-SPAN. He is Senior Fellow & Director, American Strategy Program, New America Foundation.

My regular explorations always include DailyKos and TPMCafe -
Kos diarist "ollieb," will become one of my new favorites because of this current piece about Rep. Jane Harman titled, "Repentant Rep. Jane Harman (CA-36) Faces Her Constituents." It has garnered 198 contentious comments to this point. I had worried about Harman, one of my favorite legislators, and was glad to learn that she still has a future, though not as the important committee chairman that I had hoped.
At TPMCafe, Todd Gitlin is always a good read. He has a great history as a leader, thinker and teacher - and now a blogger. His "Enough Ghosts" has a spark that comes from his heart; he was once president of Students for a Democratic Society, organized demonstrations against the Vitenam war and practiced civil disobedience. His growth as an intellectual has been interesting for me to watch over these long years.


Flotsam also means "unimportant miscellaneous material." The following internet tools are actually more valuable than today's post title implies, but the phrase is just what came into mind. "Nuts and Bolts" is getting closer to what I need to call it, but I should really say, "Recommended Internet Sites:"

  • Bloglines is a teriffic aggregator. The site just added a "playlist" feature enabling me to do a more efficient morning scan. Check it out. Newsgator is another one, though it is not quite as much fun.

  • Webstrider enabled me to find a definition of "aggregator" in just a few seconds. It is a (color me turquoise) well organized link list that I use regularly.

  • Blogrolling is what I use to compile my favorites lists (to the right). The advantage is that they stay up to date on all my blog sites due to being stored on the web. And I have a quick-add button I can use to add anyone I choose.

  • Google Gadgets for your webpage proves that Google is ubiquitous. But my obsessive-compulsive collector-self just cannot resist. Nor could I resist a del.icio.us cloud (below right).
Technorati tags:

My "creative post" at Southwest Blogger currently is about the spirit.

No comments: